///Do I Need Personal Injury Protection Coverage?

Do I Need Personal Injury Protection Coverage?

Auto insurance is not only mandatory in states like Texas, but it essentially promises that you are financially protected in the event that you are in a car accident. In Texas, the current minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage, per accident; in other words, the minimum is 30/60/25, which applies to coverage limits for bodily injury per person/bodily injury per accident/and property damage.

Texas is not a no-fault state, meaning that when there is accident, someone is held responsible. Still, Personal Injury Protection (PIP), which covers your injuries in an accident regardless of fault, is a relatively inexpensive and important coverage you should apply for when obtaining car insurance. Texas state law requires that all insurance companies offer it on their policies.

Insurance Claims


Whether you are or are not at fault, in Texas, you can use PIP to cover medical expenses and lost wages for incidents arising out of auto accidents. PIP can also cover medical benefits, even if your health insurance has already covered some of the medical costs, and lost wages even if disability or workers’ compensation is covering lost wages. In other words, you can collect against your own coverage, regardless of whether or not you caused the accident.

If I am injured in a car accident should I use my PIP?

Ask a Lawyer Now!
Ask a Lawyer Now!

Lost Wages and Documentation

When an auto accident prevents you from going to work due to the injury or injuries you have sustained, these are considered to be lost wages. They can cover the period during which you cannot work, lost earning capacity (if your injury prevents you from making what you did before the accident), and any lost opportunities, such as interviews for positions you may have missed due to the injury.

You have the option to file a wage loss claim via liability bodily injury coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and/or personal injury protection coverage. Your documentation should include:

  • A letter from your doctor describing your injuries and how long they will keep you from working, as well as any treatments you are pursuing, including medications, etc.
  • A letter from your employer verifying that you have missed work due to your injuries; and
  • A copy of the police report.

However, note that it is important to read your policy closely to see if there are any exclusions with regards to work loss.

Houston Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyers

Our personal injury attorneys can help guide you through the process of filing a claim under your PIP coverage and ensure that you get the compensation that you need. You never want to negotiate and/or accept a settlement from an insurance company without working with an experienced personal injury attorney first.

Attorney Michael P. Fleming has 30 years of experience helping folks in Houston and throughout Texas who have been injured in auto accidents. Contact us today to find out how he can help you.