Texas Car Accident Injuries and Causes
Across the state of Texas, car accident fatalities in 2015 happened at the startling rate of one death every 2.5 hours.
In Harris County last year, the Texas Department of Transportation reports more than 110,000 car accidents. More than 360 people died and more than 33,000 were injured as a result of those accidents.
Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) statistics show that the three most common causes of car accidents in Texas are failure to control speed, driver inattention and failure to drive in a single lane. If another driver engaged in any of these acts and caused a crash that hurt you or a loved one, you should seek help from an experienced car accident lawyer without delay.
Motorcycle fatalities, meanwhile, topped 450 in Texas in 2015, for an average of more than one death of a motorcyclist a day. Compared to 2004, that number has risen 58%. Injuries on motorcycles are also up in Texas, with more than 1860 injuries counted last year.
Accidents involving cars or motorcycles usually cause high-velocity injuries that can affect nearly every aspect of your life. In our line of work, we’ve seen time and again, legal support aids a smooth recovery process with proper medical care and time off.
So what is the cause of these accidents, and can they be prevented?
Injured in a car or motorcycle crash? Let us help. We want to hear about your accident.
Car Accident Causes
Across Texas, the top 10 contributing car crash factors in 2015 were:
|#||Crash Contributing Factor||Total Crashes in 2015|
|1||Failed to control speed||136,383|
|3||Failed to drive in single lane||36,238|
|4||Changed lane when unsafe||34,157|
|5||Failed to yield while turning left||30,741|
|7||Followed too closely||25,436|
|8||Failed to yield at a stop sign||25,329|
|9||Faulty evasive action||23,945|
|10||Disregard stop and go signal||20,983|
The fastest way to eliminate thousands of preventable car accidents a year in Houston is by driving at safe speeds and disengaging in distractions while driving.
Motorcycle Accident Causes
There are more motorcycles than ever driving on Texas roads. But with a death a day, Texas Department of Transportation had an awareness campaign in May called “Look Twice: Share the Road with Motorcycles.”
The primary cause of motorcycle accidents is a collision with a car or truck – the cause of about half of motorcycle deaths. Behind these accidents are usually one or more of these three contributing factors:
- A car or truck driver misjudging how close or fast a motorcycle is traveling.
- Congested roadways making it difficult to see motorcycles.
- Distracted drivers – in 2015 38% of Texas drivers admitted to using their phone while driving at least some times.
With many of these motorcycle accidents are preventable with some modified behaviors on the part of drivers, the TxDOT shares these safety tips:
- Look twice for motorcycles, especially at intersections.
- Use your turn signals.
- Don’t follow a motorcycle too closely.
- Check your mirrors before changing lanes.
- Always assume motorcycles are closer than they appear to be.
- Give motorcyclists a full lane.
The Most Common Car Accident and Motorcycle Crash Injuries
As experienced personal injury attorneys, we regularly represent clients who have been seriously hurt in car crashes and motorcycle accidents.
Below are the six most common accident-related injuries we help clients recover from with legal support to enable financial and medical care:
- Head Injury (Traumatic Brain Injury): One strong blow or jolt to the head can cause a traumatic brain injury, making it one of the most common auto- and motorcycle-related crash injuries. A traumatic brain injury requires immediate medical attention; complications can include everything from headaches and dizziness to seizures, a coma, and even death. After emergency care, you might need medications, surgery, and rehabilitation and the road ahead might be long. Diagnosing a traumatic brain injury is tricky and often gets misdiagnosed or completely overlooked.
- Neck Injury: If you were rear-ended in a car crash, chances are you’re suffering from whiplash injury. During whiplash, when the head is violently moved back and then forward, the soft tissues of the neck are strained and cause pain. If the pain is intense and lasts longer than a few days, you might need medication, therapy, and even surgery.
- Spinal Cord Injury: According to the Mayo Clinic, car and motorcycle crashes are the “leading cause of spinal cord injuries, accounting for more than 35 percent of new spinal cord injuries each year.” Injury to any part of your spinal cord is not only painful, but can reduce motor and sensory functions. In worst case scenarios, a spinal cord injury can cause paralysis. Recovery is usually a long process anywhere between months to an entire year and may include medications, surgery, and ongoing care. Often times, patients must relearn how to walk and accomplish basic daily tasks.
- Leg and Foot Injuries: Car and motorcycle accidents can crush and break bones in your legs, ankles or feet, leaving you in pain and barely able to walk. According to the Mayo Clinic, “fractures can occur when your knees become jammed against the dashboard during a collision.” Along with medication, a broken ankle or foot might require physical therapy and in some cases even surgery.
- Arm and Wrist Injuries: Bones in your arms, wrists, and hands can break during a motorcycle crash or vehicle accident. Although the treatment time depends on the type of fracture, your recovery will mostly likely include a cast or brace, medication, therapy, and in some cases surgery.
- Psychological Impact: Major motorcycle and car accidents are traumatic events, and the pain associated with these events can affect more than your body. Emotional trauma from car accidents includes anxiety, depression, irritability, and emotional outbursts. Some people also experience insomnia or excess sleep.
Sharing motorcycle and car accident injury statistics and prevention tips is an important part of our role as Texas car accident lawyers. If you’ve recently been injured in a car or motorcycle collision, an attorney at our firm can help you receive the financial compensation you need for recovery.
Have you Been Injured in a Vehicle or Motorcycle Crash?
Collisions involving cars and motorcycles cause serious injuries that often affect all aspects of life, from employment and relationships to hobbies. If you have been involved in one of the hundreds of preventable car and motorcycle accidents happening in Houston each year, we are experienced attorneys who can help you.
A board certified car accident attorney can evaluate your case and help you receive the compensation you deserve to heal from your injuries and get back to your normal life.
Speak to a compassionate and skilled Texas accident attorney at Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C.
The Houston office of Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C., has represented and won cases of countless clients who were injured in a motorcycle or car crash. We don’t get paid until you win.
Call us at 737-201-0543 or contact us online.
Michael P. Fleming is a highly experienced litigator who has argued and won a case before the U.S. Supreme Court. He is a Houston resident who was twice elected to serve as the Harris County Attorney. He is also an avid runner who has completed eight marathons, to date, including two in Ireland. Only a small group of Texas lawyers are Board Certified as specialists in both Personal Injury Trial Law and Real Estate Law. Michael is one of them. He also proudly holds his B.A. degree from the University of Saint Thomas and his J.D. degree from the University of Houston College of Law.