Houston Spinal Cord Damage Injury Lawyers
In a personal injury case, the damage caused by a spinal cord injury can result in months to even years of medical treatment and rehabilitation. You may require neck or back surgery, spinal fusions, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and other medical treatment.
The cost of the initial months in the hospital will amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. The Houston personal injury attorneys at the Michael P. Fleming & Associates law firm are dedicated to advocating for clients before the insurance companies and in the courtroom. Contact our Houston law firm for experienced legal representation.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury that results in paralysis (such as paraplegia or quadriplegia) will permanently change your life as well as your family’s life.
The physical impairment from a back injury is always extensive. Even after the extensive rehabilitative therapy, you must re-learn to manage simple tasks, such as brushing your teeth, dressing, or moving about with limited mobility. In addition, your family may be faced with the challenges of limited income.
Financial Strains of a Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries can be one of the most serious and complex to treat. Recovering from this type of injury can take months if not years. We have seen the impact that this can have on the person injured and their family. When it comes to the financial impact of this type of injury it can include many things;
- Treating spinal cord injuries take time as does recovering and therapy, in addition multiple surgeries may take place to try and repair the damage and stabilize the patient. All of this costs money and these medical expenses need to be recovered.
- Those who are employed will have to recover their lost wages for the time spent treating and recovering from the injuries.
- If the injured person is unable to return to work future earnings must be estimated, this referred to as loss of earning capacity.
- As a result of the spinal cord injury future physical impairment may be permanent in which case your post injury lifestyle must be analyzed by an expert to determine the value of financial compensation.
These devastating injuries can take their toll on married and family life as the spouse of the injured will often carry the burden of caring for their husband or wife. The effects emotionally are significant as well as the loss of enjoyment, companionship or solace. This is known as loss of consortium and financial compensation may be awarded to cover these losses.
Our personal injury lawyers represent individuals who have been paralyzed in many types of accidents throughout Texas, including:
- Car accidents Many serious accidents occur on the freeways I-10, US-59, I-45, I-610 and Beltway 8 as these are very busy during the week particularly at rush hour.
- Truck accidents as Houston continues to grow we are seeing more and more tractor-trailers, 18 wheelers and flatbeds on the roads and highways.
- Motorcycle accidents have been increasing annually in recent years and given that motorcyclists 21 years of age an older can ride without a helmet means that there continues to the risk of serious injury.
- DWI accidents in Texas can cause serious injury and not surprisingly they tend to occur after the bars and clubs close on Friday and Saturday nights. In some cases the bar or club can be held liable for not taking action to stop drunks from driving.
- Workplace injuries many spinal cord injuries occur in the workplace, especially construction sites where workers can be several hundred feet above the ground.
- Bicycle accidents can occur in many different ways, you may be trying to avoid another rider or you may be hit by a car of a truck.
- Boating accidents similar to car accidents, boating accidents can cause injuries such concussions, broken bones and back injuries. Since most people do not use any restraint like a seat belt the injuries can be worse.
- Bus accidents whether they city buses or school buses accidents can cause serious injury. Generally no restraint is used on buses and people can be injured by hitting steel handrails or other seats when crashes occur.
- Other serious accidents
Your Advocate Before the Insurance Company and in the Courtroom
Our personal injury lawyers listen to your needs and concerns. We take on the burdens of a personal injury lawsuit to recover just compensation for your loss. Therefore, you can concentrate on your recovery, not deal with an overbearing insurance company.
Our law firm will use the necessary medical specialists and other experts to illustrate the extent of your injury and the future impact the spinal cord injury will have on your life. Additionally, we utilize experts to project future loss of earnings and place financial value to non-economic losses, such as pain and suffering, and physical impairment or loss of enjoyment of life.
The lawyers at our firm have solid and persistent negotiation skills to help you recover a just settlement. However, we also have the trial experience and determination needed to recover a favorable jury verdict when your interests are best served through trial.
Contact the spinal cord injury lawyers at the Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C. law firm today. As an attorney Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law in Texas, Mr. Fleming knows how to handle the most complicated cases involving spinal cord injuries. He has helped many people who have injured their back in car accidents, work accidents, motorcycle accidents and many others. Give him a call with any questions today.