Board Certified Injury Lawyer in Houston, Texas
Michael P. Fleming – along with a small percentage of all lawyers in Texas – is Board Certified in Personal Injury Law by the Board of Legal Specialization. What is Board Certification? As provided by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization:
“Certified Personal Injury Trial Law specialists have handled various aspects (including jury trials) of matters such as car accidents, truck accidents, medical malpractice, or defective products which cause physical or mental injury to a person.”
An attorney who is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Personal Injury Trial Law must have handled jury trials dealing with matters such as truck accidents, vehicle accidents, worker’s compensation, premises liability, products liability, statutory tort claims, maritime accidents, or social security claims which involve a physical or mental injury to a person. The attorney must also have extensive knowledge of the law of evidence, procedure, and other substantive law involved in the trial of personal injury cases.
To become Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, an attorney must have:
- Been licensed to practice law for at least five years;
- Michael P. Fleming was certified as a specialist in personal injury trial law in 1995 after he had been practicing law for 8 years. He has been re-certified after an extensive review every five years since then.
- Devoted a required percentage of practice to personal injury trial law for at least three years;
- Mr. Fleming has handled personal injury matters ever since receiving his law license in 1987.
- Handled a wide variety of personal injury trial law matters to demonstrate experience and involvement;
- Mr. Fleming has handled an extensive varied number of injury matters – both plaintiff and defense.
- Attended personal injury trial law continuing education seminars regularly to keep legal training up to date;
- Michael Fleming takes extensive continuing education courses every year.
- Been evaluated by fellow lawyers and judges;
- He was evaluated by lawyers he has worked with and against. He also was evaluated by judges in whose courts he had appeared in injury cases. Every 5 years, he has again gone through the evaluation process with lawyers and judges.
- Passed a day-long written examination.
- Mr. Fleming passed the extensive examination on the first try.
Initial certification is valid for a period of five years. To remain certified, an attorney must apply for recertification every five years and meet practice, peer review and continuing education requirements for the specialty field.
Michael P. Fleming has been board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law since 1995. His firm handles serious personal injury and wrongful death cases. For more information about the board certification process – or to see if an attorney has achieved board certification – visit the Texas Board of Legal Specialization website at https://www.tbls.org.