Houston Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Being injured in an accident as a pedestrian can be a traumatic experience, both physically and emotionally. Seeking legal help after a pedestrian accident can make a huge difference as you embark on the path toward compensation. A Houston pedestrian accident lawyer can provide the guidance and support you need to seek justice and compensation for any injuries you may have suffered from the crash.
What Should You Do if You Were Hit By A Car?
If you were injured while walking or jogging in Houston, contact our pedestrian accident lawyers today for a free consultation to discuss your accident and how we can help. The pedestrian accident attorneys at Fleming Law are dedicated to providing excellent legal representation to injury victims throughout Texas. Our firm has the experience and resources to help you if you were hit on the sidewalk, at a crosswalk, in a parking lot, in a parking garage, or elsewhere.
Our Pedestrian Accident Law Firm Is Here To Help
In any big city, drivers have an obligation to respect pedestrians who are walking or jogging downtown or anywhere else. Houston is no exception. Whether caused by a distracted driver, a drunk driver, or someone in a hurry, life-threatening injuries can result from a car hitting a pedestrian. When this happens, our attorneys are a phone call away and ready to help.
For example, our pedestrian accident attorneys successfully handled a parking-lot accident in which a speeding driver made an illegal turn and hit our client, who was simply walking back to her parked car. In another case, a driver failed to yield the right of way as they turned left downtown. Our client, a young man with a family at home, was hit and seriously injured while he crossed the street.
In both cases, our lawyers investigated the accidents, gathered evidence, and negotiated aggressively to secure maximum compensation for our clients. We are ready to do the same for you.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Houston?
Pedestrian crosswalk accidents are very common throughout Texas and can result in serious injuries and death. Usually, these accidents occur due to the careless and negligent conduct of drivers. Whether caused by a commercial or personal vehicle, pedestrian injuries are often a result of:
- Texting while driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Turning without paying attention to folks lawfully entering a crosswalk
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Unsafe valet drivers and parking lot attendants
If you or a loved one were injured while attempting to cross a street — whether in a crosswalk or not — a free consultation with the pedestrian accident lawyers at Fleming Law can help. Our compassionate legal team has decades of experience handling serious personal injury matters. Our attorneys can evaluate your case for you over the phone or in person. We are ready to answer any questions you may have.
Common Injuries Caused by Pedestrian Accidents in Texas
Pedestrians hit by cars and trucks can suffer many debilitating injuries including:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Internal Injuries
- Cuts and puncture wounds
- Soft-tissue strains, sprains, and tears
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- “Road rash” and other burn injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs), including full or partial paralysis
What Compensation Can Pedestrian Accident Victims Recover in Texas?
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Texas, you could be entitled to financial compensation for your economic and noneconomic losses. The amount of compensation available to you will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. Among other things, a pedestrian accident victim may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills related to treating their accident injuries
- Lost wages if they cannot work while recovering
- Physical pain and suffering
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
Can I Still Recover Compensation If I Am Partly At Fault for My Injuries?
Yes. If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Texas, you might be eligible for compensation even if you were partially at fault for the accident. Courts will apply the doctrine of comparative negligence (also known as “proportionate responsibility”) in cases involving injured pedestrians who are partly at fault for an accident.
Under this rule, plaintiffs may pursue compensation so long as they are 50 percent or less at fault for their injuries. However, their compensation will be reduced proportionately to their degree of fault beneath 50 percent.
Establishing fault can be complicated, especially when it is shared between plaintiffs and defendants. Therefore, it is crucial to seek legal help as soon as possible if you were partly at fault for your pedestrian accident. Our experienced lawyers can evaluate the facts of your case and ensure that you do not miss out on the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Visit Our Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer today.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Case in Houston?
Remember that there is a time limit for filing personal injury cases in court, including those involving pedestrians. In Texas, the statute of limitations gives you two years from the date of injury to file your case. While this may seem like a long time, remember that investigating an accident and building a strong case can take months. The sooner you bring your case to an experienced attorney, the sooner they can build a solid case on your behalf.
The statute of limitations for pedestrian accident injuries varies from state to state, but it is typically two years. This means that you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you do not file your lawsuit within the statute of limitations, you may be barred from ever filing a lawsuit and recovering damages for your injuries.
Here are some examples of the types of injuries that may be covered by a pedestrian accident lawsuit:
- Physical injuries: This can include broken bones, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, and other serious injuries.
- Pain and suffering: This is the emotional and physical pain that you experience as a result of your injuries.
- Lost wages: This is the money that you lose as a result of being unable to work due to your injuries.
- Medical expenses: This is the cost of your medical treatment, such as doctor’s visits, hospital stays, and prescription medication.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and fight for the compensation that you deserve.
Here are some of the things that an attorney can do for you after a pedestrian accident:
- Investigate the accident: An attorney can investigate the accident to gather evidence that supports your claim. This evidence can include police reports, witness statements, and medical records.
- Negotiate with the insurance company: An attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to try to get you a fair settlement.
- File a lawsuit: If the insurance company does not offer you a fair settlement, an attorney can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
- Represent you in court: If your case goes to trial, an attorney can represent you in court and fight for your rights.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you should not wait to speak with a Houston pedestrian accident injury attorney. The statute of limitations is a deadline, and if you wait too long, you may lose your right to file a lawsuit.
How Can Fleming Law Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Houston?
At Fleming Law, we understand that pedestrian accident victims will likely face significant physical and emotional harm, as well as mounting medical bills and financial stress. Our experienced pedestrian accident attorneys will take the time to listen to your story and inform you of your legal rights and options.
We will work hard to help you pursue the full and fair compensation you deserve. Our dedicated legal team can identify the party responsible for your injuries, gather evidence, build a strong case, negotiate aggressively during settlement talks, and fight for your rights in court.
Contact a Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one were injured in a pedestrian accident, do not wait to have your case evaluated by one of our experienced pedestrian accident injury attorneys today. We have been helping pedestrian accident victims in Texas for decades. We are ready to help you too. Contact us today for a free consultation with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney near you.
Here are some resources for victims of pedestrian accidents in Texas:
- The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT): TxDOT has a number of resources for pedestrian safety, including information on how to avoid accidents, how to stay safe while walking, and how to report accidents. You can find these resources on TxDOT’s website or by calling 1-800-252-8955.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): NHTSA also has a number of resources for pedestrian safety, including information on how to avoid accidents, how to stay safe while walking, and how to report accidents. You can find these resources on NHTSA’s website or by calling 1-888-327-4236.
- The American Automobile Association (AAA): AAA offers a number of services to help victims of pedestrian accidents, including roadside assistance, towing, and legal assistance. You can find more information about AAA’s services on their website or by calling 1-800-AAA-HELP.
- The Texas Trial Lawyers Association (TTLA): TTLA is a non-profit organization that provides legal assistance to victims of personal injury accidents, including pedestrian accidents. You can find more information about TTLA’s services on their website or by calling 1-800-221-5678.
In addition to these resources, there are a number of other organizations that may be able to help victims of pedestrian accidents. These organizations can provide emotional support, financial assistance, and other resources. You can find a list of these organizations on the National Pedestrian Safety website.
It is important to remember that you are not alone if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident. There are a number of resources available to help you get through this difficult time.