Lawyers in Houston for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - PTSD
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or “PTSD” is often associated with veterans who have experienced the horrors of warfare. However, PTSD can also be found in people who have been the victim of serious personal injury lawyer in Houston from car accidents, sexual assaults, dog bites and other accidents. Symptoms of PTSD can include the following:
- Memories of the traumatic event that are recurring;
- Nightmares about the event;
- Emotional distress and reactions to something that reminds the victim of the event;
- Avoiding talking or thinking about the event;
- Avoiding people, places and things that remind the victim of the event;
- Feeling negative about oneself or others;
- Unable to have positive emotions;
- Feeling numb;
- Lack of interest in activities that were once enjoyed;
- Feeling of hopelessness;
- Memory problems;
- Inability to maintain close relationships;
- Feelings of guilt or shame;
- Self-destructive behavior.
- Trouble concentrating;
- Trouble sleeping.
PTSD is often seen in the victims of sexual assault and other violent crimes. Often, the victim will experience many of these symptoms. Dog attacks – especially with injuries to children – almost always result in a manifestation of some PTSD symptoms. In the United States, 6.8% of adult Americans have experienced PTSD at some point in their lives with women experiencing it at a much greater rate than men.
After a serious accident, people often experience physical pain and suffering, broken bones, internal injury, eye injuries and facial injuries. PTSD often accompanies these injuries and in many cases lasts longer.
After any serious injury – especially assault type injuries – the victim should be evaluated for PTSD and receive any necessary treatment. If you or a loved on has experienced a serious personal injury in Houston or anywhere else in Texas and suspect there might be resulting PTSD, contact the lawyers at Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C., for advice.