//Two Texas bar are under investigation after fatal DWI accident

Two Texas bar are under investigation after fatal DWI accident

By |April 24th, 2011|

After a deadly crash that took the lives of a Texas driver and police officer, law enforcement has launched an investigation into two Texas bars that allegedly served the driver a combined two gallons of beer prior to the car accident.

The DWI accident took place on I-35 in the early morning hours of March 15. According to police reports, the drunk driver was traveling on the wrong lane into oncoming traffic. When a 27-year-old police officer tried to stop him, the vehicles collided head-on, killing both.

According to police investigators, the 31-year-old driver had been drinking for several hours at the Flying Saucer bar near Interstate 10, as well as the Oak Hills Tavern located within the South Texas Medical Center. The driver is believed to have consumed between 12 and 15 pints of beer while at the bars. His toxicology report has not yet been released.

The owner of the Flying Saucer told police that the driver had been at the bar with his friends for five hours, during which time 10 pints of beer were served to the group of four. Then, the owner said, the individuals were cut off by bartenders despite showing no signs of intoxication. However, police continue to maintain that the man consumed up to 13 pints of beer at the first bar alone.

The group then went to Oak Hill Tavern, where he is believed to have consumed two additional pints before attempting to drive home on I-35. Both bar owners may now be facing criminal or civil penalties for serving alcohol to an already-intoxicated patron.

The police officer who was killed in the tragic fatal accident had been employed as a law enforcement agent for three years. She is survived by a husband and a one-year-old daughter.

Source: San Antonio Express-News, “2 bars probed in fatal DWI“, Eva Ruth Moravec, 5 April 2011

/* Omit closing PHP tag to avoid "Headers already sent" issues. */