Houston, Texas Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Medical malpractice in the United States is a serious personal injury issue which has affected the lives of many people.
According to the Journal of Patient Safety, an estimated 210,000 to 440,000 Americans die each year due to hospital errors.
A 2006 follow-up to the 1999 Institute of Medicine Study found that medication errors are the most common mistakes by health care professionals, harming nearly 1.5 million people every year.
Have you suffered personal injury in Houston due to a careless mistake by a doctor, nurse, surgeon, pharmacist or other medical provider? Contact our Houston medical malpractice lawyers for strong legal representation.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice Resulting in Injury and Death
Surgeons, family doctors, radiologists, nurses, anesthesiologists, and general practitioners all have important roles in providing medical care to patients. A mistake made by any healthcare provider can have dire consequences for a patient. Examples of medical mishaps which cause injury and wrongful death include:
- Not providing the required treatment for a condition
- Misdiagnosing or failing to diagnose a serious disease
- Surgical errors such as operating on the wrong body part, leaving instruments in the patient, severing a nerve and other mistakes during surgery
- Failing to prevent infection, failing to diagnose and treat infection, pneumonia, or sepsis
- Prescribing the wrong drug or other medication error
- Birth injury caused by errors during labor and delivery
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
The cost associated with these errors in lost income, disability, and health care costs is as much as $29 billion annually. The Institute of Medicine’s report estimates that more than half of the adverse these events occurring each year are due to preventable errors, causing the death of tens of thousands of patients.
Contact a Lawyer if You Suspect Medical Malpractice
If you suffered complications following routine surgery, an adverse reaction to a dangerous medication, or a loved one died due to a medical mistake, contact Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C., today. We fight to recover fair compensation for patients who were harmed and families who lost a loved one due to medical malpractice in Houston, Dallas, and other cities throughout Texas.