Personal Injury Claims in Houston, Texas
The Houston personal injury attorneys at Michael P. Fleming & Associates, P.C. offer the highly skilled and dedicated representation people deserve after being seriously injured in an auto accident or other type of situation. Voted one of the best personal injury lawyers in Houston, we offer our clients the peace of mind and confidence that comes from knowing that we are committed to protecting their rights and helping them secure the full compensation they deserve for the injuries they have suffered. If you have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence contact our personal injury lawyers now.
Types of Injury
As a result of a car or truck accident, drivers and passengers can suffer from Traumatic Brain Injuries. Symptoms may appear shortly after the accident or in some cases days or weeks after the injury. In either case you need to seek medical attention immediately.
First, second and third degree burns can be very serious and require medical treatment. Car fires, chemical exposure, electrocution and industrial accidents can all cause severe burn injuries which may require surgery or skin grafts.
Sexual assault and rape can occur in many places including apartment complexes and hotels. The physical and psychological effects can take many forms such as sexually transmitted infections (STI), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression just to name a few. In many cases a building owner, property manager or business may be found negligent for not ensuring that their properties are safe and secure places for people to live or stay during a vacation. If you were the victim of a sexual assault or rape because of another party’s negligence you need to contact a personal injury lawyer to ensure that your claim will result in a settlement that allows you to deal with the physical and psychological effects.
Broken arms are one of the most common injuries that can happen to any of us. All types of activities like contact sports, hiking, rock-climbing and skiing can result in broken arms. When it comes to personal injury we see broken arms from people injured in car wrecks, truck accidents, workplace injuries, balcony injuries and slip and falls. If you have been injured and someone else was at fault contact our personal injury lawyers now!
Children and men are more likely than anyone else to be bitten by a dog. Dog bite injuries can affect muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels along with the risk of infection. If the bite was the result of the owner’s or someone else’s negligence a personal injury lawyer can seek the compensation you deserve to get medical attention and recover from your injuries.
The victims of serious accidents and near-death experiences are often left with issues relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder – otherwise commonly known as PTSD. This condition is a serious as the physical injuries sustained and can require years and years of therapy to deal with the issue.
The spinal cord is one of the most important parts of the human body as it transmits information from the brain to muscles instructing our legs to walk and arms and hands to lift. It also transmits sensory information from all of our extremities to the brain when we encounter hot or cold sensations. Injuries can be caused by a serious blow to the back that fractures discs and bruises or tears the spinal cord. These can be VERY serious injuries resulting in permanent paralysis of upper and lower limbs. Car accidents, truck accidents and falls are the most commons causes of spinal cord injury. Contact us today if you have suffered a spinal cord injury.
Electricity moves though the human body quickly and can cause injuries such as burns, internal injury even cardiac arrest. Homeowners who rent electrical equipment such as generators, blowers, dryers and drain cleaners do so to renovate or perform maintenance. Any electrical equipment used, especially industrial strength, needs to be properly maintained and free of any design defects. If you come in contact with exposed wire while the unit is on, an electrical shock can cause serious injury. Children playing in public places or playgrounds are also susceptible to injury if they encounter exposed wire.
Many of our homes and businesses use natural gas such as methane, propane or butane for furnaces, boilers and cooking appliances. Gas is delivered through a network of distribution lines directly to our homes. Just like electricity, gas can be very dangerous if it leaks which can cause huge explosions. Those who maintain our streets or distribution lines must be extremely careful. If you have been injured as a result of an explosion contact our personal injury lawyers.
Personal Injury Damages
The damages that can be recovered in a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit depend upon the severity of the actions of the negligent party. Once negligence (duty, breach of the duty) and causation (the injury sustained was a result of the accident/negligence) are established in a truck, car, machinery or other accident or incident, or as a result of medical negligence due to physician or surgeon mistake, it is necessary to evaluate the damages that can be recovered by the victim.
Typical damages that are recoverable in personal injury cases include;
- Past and future physical pain and suffering
- Physical pain includes so much more than just the onset of pain you experienced at the time of the wreck or accident. It includes the pain you endured when having broken bones reset, or undergoing a series of skin grafts due to serious burns, or any number of medical procedures necessary to treat the injuries you suffered as a result of someone’s negligence.
- Past Medical Expenses
- Your medical bills may remain unpaid or you may be entitled to be reimbursed for the expenses you incurred as a result of the treatment you need for your injuries. You may also recover future medical expenses to treat ongoing or long-term conditions brought about by your injuries.
- Punitive (Exemplary) Damages
- In some cases where a person or company’s negligence is extreme punitive damages may be awarded over and above compensatory damages. An example would be an employee who is seriously injured or killed while working for an industrial or construction company who refuses to provide safe working conditions or safety training to their workforce.
- Past and Future Disfigurement
- Disfigurements include scars and scarring resulting from lacerations received in the accident or post operatively. Disfigurement may also occur as a result of loss of limb or appendage, or improperly healed fractures.
- Past and Future Physical Impairment
- Such impairments may limit your ability to take care of yourself, tend to your normal daily routine, go to work, drive a car, walk, run, or participate in other activities you enjoyed prior to being injured in an accident. Physical impairment may be temporary, permanent, or long-term.
- Loss of Past Wages
- Loss of past wages is not limited to recovery by the injured person. In the event of a wrongful death action, a decedent’s lost wages may be recovered by the widow or widower or parent or heirs at law.
- Loss of Future Earning Capacity
- Just like past wages, this loss is not limited to recovery by the injured person. In the event of a wrongful death action, a decedent’s loss of future earning capacity may be recovered by the widow or widower or parent or heirs at law.
- Loss of Consortium
- Sometimes the injuries to one person are so severe it injures the relationship within the family. In those instances, parents or spouses may be able to recover for their losses.
- Loss of Household Services
- In some cases, one spouse may be entitled to compensation for loss of domestic service typically performed by the other spouse.